Monday, March 31, 2008

Update - Crediting Kimadia with SOME Improvement

I spoke to my contact at the hospital today about the continuing supply problems, and he indicated that although the shortage of chemotherapy drugs from Kimadia is still critical and near-total, there have in fact been some improvements over the last year in deliveries of other supplies. One example he mentioned was a recent rather large delivery of ostomy supplies. Another was improvement in delivery of surgical supplies including such things as dressings, anesthetics and antibiotics, to the extent that the number of surgeries per week per surgeon which is possible with the available supplies has approximately doubled in the last year.

I asked whether the supply problems seem attributable to corruption or to shortage of funds or some other cause. His feeling seemed to be that it is the general chaos that afflicts Iraq that is the most important problem. He seemed doubtful that highly placed people in the Ministry of Health were diverting supplies to the black market but considered it possible that lower echelon personnel might do so if the opportunity presented itself.

I have never ceased to be impressed by the dedication and courage of Iraq's doctors, and to the extent that the Ministry of Health is staffed by physicians I have no doubt that the welfare of the patients of Iraq is their primary concern.

4 Comments:

Blogger braamer said...

Mr. Kosel,
Well it is good to hear your confidence in the Doctors at the Oncology Hospital in Mosul. This whole Project goes to prove what one, or a few, dedicated people can accomplish.

5:31 PM  
Blogger waldschrat said...

Hi Bob!

I think the doctors in Iraq are very heroic folks dedicated to helping their patients even though it would be safer for them personally if they fled the country.

I really appreciate your droping me a comment! I was beginning to wonder if I had somehow disabled the comment feature since it's been so long since anyone posted a comment. Apparently it's working just fine, it's just that nobody ever posts comments.

Pete Kosel

10:49 PM  
Blogger Lynnette In Minnesota said...

Believe me, Pete, there are some people you really don't want posting comments.

Glad to hear you're still around and they are seeing some improvement in the supply situation. I hope that is still the case even after this mess with Al-Sadr and the Mahdi Army.

11:48 AM  
Blogger waldschrat said...

Hi, Lynette!

The supply situation is still a mess so far as I know although some stuff is apparently getting through (not much chemotherapy stuff). Local pharmacies are filling some gaps, but there have been quality problems reported. Quality problems are NOT what you want when you're fighting for your life and need drugs that actually work.

As far as I can tell the drugs I'm delivering are working effectively, no quality issues like some stuff from other sources.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home